Now I’m not a huge fan of gluten free, but this recipe is to die for and to be honest, I actually prefer this recipe than a regular carrot cake.
It’s far more moist and tastes absolutely delicious (it’s also really easy to make).
1/2 cup olive oil
2 medium carrots, grated
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups almond meal
Cream cheese frosting
500g cream cheese
400g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Grease the base and sides of your cake tin with olive oil or baking paper.
3. Grate the carrots (I find it’s easier to pop them into a food processor) and put them in between a couple of sheets of paper towels to absorb the juices (it’s important to do this as I forgot one day and the cake mixture was too runny).
4. Whisk the sugar and oil, until mixed together.
5. Whisk in the vanilla and eggs in a large bowl.
6. Fold in the almond meal and grated carrots.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
8. Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean when poked into the middle).
9. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
10. Let cool until ready to serve. Transfer the cake to a serving platter.
11. To make the cream cheese frosting, combine the cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth – a good tip for making silky smooth icing is to blend it in a food processor, it gets all the lumps out.
12. Once the cake is cooled, spread the frosting over the cake and slice.