Spring may still be weeks away, but the warm temperatures this week had me dreaming about perfect spring days and inspired my coconut cupcakes.
Not only are the vanilla sponge cakes light and fluffy, the coconut buttercream frosting is a sweet and subtle accompaniment, making them perfect for that spring or summer treat.
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 cup self raising flour
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
190g vegetable shortening (or butter)
400g icing sugar
40ml water (or milk)
Coconut essence to taste
Shaved coconut for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and place 12 patty cases into a cupcake tin.
2. Put the butter, caster sugar, eggs, flour, milk and vanilla essence into a bowl and mix with an electric beater until ingredients are well combined.
3. Spoon the batter into the patty cases and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden and springy to touch. Turn the cupcakes onto a wire rack to cool.
4. To make the coconut buttercream frosting, cream the vegetable shortening (or butter) with an electric mixer until it becomes light and white, then add the sifted icing sugar, water (or milk) and coconut essence to taste. Mix until well combined.
5. Pipe the buttercream frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with shaved coconut.
6. You can also decorate with home-made cupcake toppers!
Watch the tutorial here: