250g plain flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
100g soft butter
200g caster sugar
red food colouring
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting
500g icing sugar
250g cream cheese
(Nigella’s recipe calls for 125g cream cheese and 125g butter, but I prefer using all cream cheese)
1 teapsoon vinegar or lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarb soda into a bowl.
3. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar until your mixture is pale, then add the food colouring and vanilla.
3. Add 1 spoonful of the dried ingredients, then 1 egg, then another spoonful of dried mixture, then the other egg, then the rest of the dried mixture.
4. Beat the buttermilk and vinegar into the mixture (be careful the milk may splatter).
5. Divide the mixture into patty cases.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes, then leave to cool (do not ice until cold).
7. To make the icing, put the icing sugar and cream cheese into a food processor and blitz until smooth, pour in vinegar or lemon juice and blitz again until smooth.
8. Ice each cupcake and decorate as desired, I like to keep aside one of the cupcakes and crumble over the top for decoration.