These little beauties were for my dad’s birthday and worked a treat. A nice alternative to banana bread and the maple frosting is divine.
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 mashed bananas
Buttercream (see buttercream recipe)
A dozen walnuts
Caster sugar for toffee
1. Pre-heat over to 180°C.
2. Sift flour and cinnamon into bowl and stir in melted butter, sugar, egg, milk and banana. The batter should be lumpy but well combined.
3. Pour batter into patty cases and bake for about 30 minutes.
5. Leave cupcakes in the pan for about 5 minutes, before turning onto wire rack to cool.
6. Make buttercream icing and add maple syrup to taste. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
7. Melt sugar in a saucepan over medium heat (watch to make sure it doesn’t burn). When the sugar melts, add the walnuts and make sure they’re coated well.
8. Take out walnuts and leave to cool on baking paper, before topping the cupcakes.